Origins in Shrivenham
The village of Fernham was originally part of Shrivenham and was not known as it’s own settlement until later, so Shrivenham is where the background begins.
In 1086 Shrivenham formed part of the royal demesne. The manor remained owned by the Crown until 1200, when it was granted by King John to Geoffrey Count of Perche. The count was killed at the battle of Lincoln in 1217 and the manor returned to the Crown, the custody of it was granted to Henry de Trubleville and Robert de Drus. Shortly afterwards, during the minority of the king, the Bishop of Châlons came to England and claimed the lands of Geoffrey Count of Perche.
The Bishop of Châlons sold his land in Shrivenham to William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, and William Longespée, Earl of Salisbury. Although technically both were part of Shrivenham Hundred, Marshal’s portion was commonly known as Shrivenham Salop to distinguish one from the other. William Marshal granted his portion of Shrivenham to his daughter Joan who married William de Valence, the half-brother of the king, who in right of his wife’s mother received the title of Earl of Pembroke.